Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On top of spaghetti...

This past weekend we delivered 8-9 babies in 24 hours. Usually on the weekends we get lucky if we deliver 2 or 3. Of those 8-9 babies, we shipped 2 of them to tertiary care facilities and kept 2 or 3 in the nursery for additional observation. This meal had just enough carbs to give me energy for the week's chores, and then some.


I would have a picture of this meal for you, except that I can't find my camera charger, despite hubby and I's wild search. Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs, for dessert I made a bittersweet chocolate souffle. It was my first time ever making a souffle and I have to say that except for the 15 dishes I used, it wasn't as difficult of a feat as I imagined. Folding the egg whites in though, were a bitch, maybe I whipped them too hard? My camera battery charger is always in one place and now we can't find it. We have searched all the closets, the garage, I have even looked in all bathrooms, and still, no charger. Hubby did take a few pictures with his cellphone, which he hasn't emailed yet, oh well. I'm going to Staples today to buy a universal charger; fingers crossed. If I do find one (score! to the right, cold spaghetti & meatballs), I'll post a picture of the leftovers.

For the Spaghetti & Meatballs, I saw Ina Garten making her version on Food Network the other day, but I did not have fresh bread crumbs, nor could I find parsley (I don't like parsley anyway), curly or flat leaf. Usually, my grocery store has bunches and bunches. Also, I was too lazy to go to the meat market just to get a 1/2 pound of veal (though I bet that would be yummy). So this is my take on it. I must say it makes for a good Sunday evening meal.

For the meatballs:
1 lb ground sirloin
1 lb ground pork
1 cup of panko
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (can't spell, don't have the parmeg...reg..package in front of me)
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 dashes each of dried basil, dried oregano, dried rosemary (or your favorite herbs)
1 large egg
3/4 cup warm tap water
salt and pepper, season liberally

Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands. Roll them into 2" meatballs. Saute them in the same large pot you're going to use to make the sauce with some oil on medium heat in some batches. Don't worry about cooking it all the way, it will finish in the sauce. Drain on paper towels. Another option if you don't want to fry the meatballs, is to bake them in the oven on sheet pans.

For the sauce:
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
2 tbls sugar (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
fresh basil, chiffonade
spaghetti noodles, cooked al dente

fresh grated parmesan cheese

Saute the onions until translucent, add garlic. Add crushed tomatoes and sugar, stir, then add in the meatballs, salt & pepper. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes. Add basil and noodles, get some tongs out and mix very well. Serve and garnish with some parmesan cheese. Yum.

For dessert, I used the Bitter Chocolate Souffle recipe from epicurious.com. I have decided I must have gotten to the grocery store the day before a shipment because I also could not find haagen dazs nor Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream. I just picked up kona coffee ice cream instead. It was a chocoholics dream, which my husband just happens to be. He had been complaining that I was making too many fruity desserts, so this was for him. It was very rich and I could only eat half of mine.

In eco news, I no longer have an excuse to use plastic bags. After seeing these on Food Maven , I ordered these and got them yesterday. I must say they are awesome, I'm afraid I won't be able to figure out how to fold them back (because that's the kind of airhead I can be), so I'm practicing. I'm keeping these in my unusually large purse. I really want the retro kitchen pouch for my car, but I'll have to wait for my summer bonus. I'm so longing to move to a place with a swap meet or farmer's market so I can stroll, shop, and plop them in these.

0 comments: